Class management in English
In FY2015, PAGE hosted “Workshop on Class Management in English.”
We developed a series of video clips to be used as teaching materials in the workshop.
These video clips feature group discussions in classes.
They illustrate troubles that instructors are likely to encounter when students engage in group discussions and offer some solutions to them.
The overview of the entire video clips is described below.
It is an introduction describing the background of the video clips and the situation a fictitious novice faculty member is in.
There are five cases illustrated in the video clips.
Each clip consists of five parts: the presentation of the problem, some examples of possible solutions, exposition of the solutions, precautions, and useful phrases.
The possible solutions shown in the clips are just a few of various ways to solve the problem.
Please make use of these samples to think of other effective solutions that best suit your own situation.
Case1 Lone Wolf: A student who prefers individual work to group discussion
Case2 Ceaseless Talker: A student who tends to overwhelm others during discussion
Case3 Poor Preparation: Student without enough preparation for class
Case4 Different Paces: A group with little progress
Case5 Off the Topic: A group discussion that gets off the topic
- The User is allowed to use the Video Clips for private use only.
- The User is prohibited from using these Video Clips beyond private use, such as allowing an unspecified large number of people to watch/view the content, and using these Video Clips for commercial purposes, without prior permission from the Division for Quality Enhancement of Higher Education, Center for Research and Development of Higher Education, the University of Tokyo. If the User wishes to use these Video Clips in classes, seminars, or workshops held at educational institutions authorized by the School Education Law, please e-mail us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- The User is prohibited from using or allowing other people to use these Video Clips for the following purposes: transfer, reproduction, lending, and transmission to the public, or any other use that is prohibited by the Division for Quality Enhancement of Higher Education, Center for Research and Development of Higher Education, the University of Tokyo.
- The copyright of these Video Clips is owned by the University of Tokyo. Please refrain from diverting these Video Clips to other websites or printed materials without permission.
- The Division for Quality Enhancement of Higher Education, Center for Research and Development of Higher Education, the University of Tokyo bears no responsibility for any loss to the Users caused by the use of these Video Clips.